Why use a cabling management software ?
Companies evolve rapidly, staff mobility increases resulting in great changes in the Voice Data Images Security networks, essentially the cross connections but also the cabling infrastructure.
Some companies refocus on their primary activity and outsource their cabling management. Yet they need to keep a thorough knowledge of their network.
For quality of service, new requirements emerge: the numerous users' demands must be met at very short notice, especially in the case of outage.
It is therefore necessary to gather all cabling information into a single, coherent, secured system - easily accessible to any authorised person : a cabling management program.
Maybe you think you really manage your telecom and network infrastructure ...
You have several monitoring systems and it seems to you that you already have too many softwares.
But are those softwares managing the low layer of the network ?
|At the physical layer of the OSI, the infrastructure is often managed with paper documents, Excel files or just the memory of one of the technicians|
What you usually see
... And what the technicians see
Where can it be used ?
New premises, extensions, change of use and updating are the best contexts for a rapid installation of a cable management program.
Cabling infrastructure management software enables the management of copper cables, optical fibres, and hertzian infrastructures.
So it can be used either for Ethernet networks, high voltage supply to cabinets, conventional telephony or IP telephony, video surveillance, Centralized Technical Management (CTM), alarms, fire detection systems, intercom, and, more generally, for any low current network.
For instance it can be used for managing the optic backbone ahead of the switches, thanks to a detailed view of used /unused fibre in a fibre optic cable.
Besides its ability to integrate all data from existing sites, a software program is also a very useful design tool which allows the forecasting of the network architecture before works are implemented.
What are the advantages ?
The right information stored on a single tool
- Centralizes and distributes information (depending on the rights of each user)
- Gives a global and comprehensive view of network
- The information is stored logically, thus improving reliability
Saving time on a daily basis
without software : Displacement, problem identification, patch updates...
with software : Optimised displacement, fast localisation of patches, work orders, quick update of the database ...
|Installers estimate that 2/3 of time is saved compared to the interventions without software|
Eliminate the hidden costs
- Time consuming site surveys for the installation of new wiring
- No identification of freed patch links (patch cables and switches) => unallocated cabling resources => production of unnecessary cables
- Errors and lost time due to not sharing information
- Unidentified problems requiring the intervention of the engineer who built the network
- Time wasted when the documentation does not match the physical network.
- The need to involve several teams
Better quality of service: responding to Service Level Agreements
- Guarantee to meet timeliness and volumes
- Analysis and optimization of projects
- Exact calculation of time spent on work
- Measurement of delivery time
- Production of billing elements